Wednesday, August 21, 2013

#%&^$ School Supplies



This morning I received the list of supplies that Catie is supposed to bring to school tomorrow morning:

1. Backpack (big enough to fit A4 paper)
2. Indoor shoes & drawstring bag to carry shoes in
3. Water bottle
4. Pencil case, pencils, & an eraser
5. Box of tissues
6. Lunch Box & bag
7. Placemat(s)
8. Lunch utensils (fork, spoon, & chopsticks) & accompanying plastic case
9. Toothbrush, toothpaste, and small cup in a small drawstring bag
10. Book bag (not to be confused with the afore mentioned backpack!)

My initial reaction was panic. How was I supposed to come up with all this stuff in 1 day alone, with only Catie and our bike? Then I told myself to breathe, and did what any self-respecting foreigner would do in this situation- I hit the 100 yen Store. Hard. We didn’t find every single thing we are supposed to have, but we did get most of it. Maybe all the supplies are not the nicest, but since she only needs them for 4 months- who cares?!! Plus, at a dollar a piece, I’m not complaining. Catie isn’t either. She picked out a Care Bears shoe bag, a Mickey Mouse lunchbox, and a Miffy pencil case- she was thrilled! I still need to come up with an official bookbag and pick up a box of tissues at the grocery store, but I’m feeling like she has enough to start school tomorrow.


(later)
Well, I WAS feeling good, and then I got the SECOND HALF OF THE LIST at 4:40 PM...

11. Hand towels (2) with loops attached to hang them up
12. Lunch towels (2+) with holder (like a wet washcloth)
13. Plastic shopping bags for dirty clothes
14. Extra clothes
15. Bathing suit “that Catie would need little or no assistance putting on”- does such a thing exist?????
16. Beach sandal
17. Beach towel
18. (optional) Swim cap & goggles
19. (optional) Sunscreen
20. Beach bag
21. Yellow or white hat for walks

What is up with the Japanese love of bags??? Have you noticed there are at least 7 bags on this list? Really? She’s _3_! Supply List Part II just isn’t going to happen tonight. Blame the gajin or whatever you like, but I’m not dragging Catie out shopping again at 5:00 PM. So far, I’m not off to a stellar start as a Japanese mom. Oh well, life goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment